The villages of Washington have the best one-stop holiday shopping, with the perfect gifts for everyone on your list (naughty or nice). A stroll through Washington Depot and New Preston’s festive shops will surely get you in the holiday spirit. Our local one-of-a-kind shops and boutiques offer luxury gifts to local artisanal crafts – and everything in between. Here are a few examples of great holiday must-haves.
Glorious gift giving
Skip the hustle and bustle of the mall and come to Washington to do your last minute holiday shopping. Our renowned shops carry a plethora of great gifts such as fabulous home accents, on trend fashion, toys, gourmet kitchenware, the latest coffee table books, and the perfect objet d’art. And, of course, stocking stuffers for the pampered pup. If you need help finding a gift, our shop owners are known for their excellent customer service and will be more than happy to help in your quest to find the perfect present.
Don’t forget to also stop by Washington’s wonderful hair salons and wellness centers during your shopping spree. You can pick up gift cards for primping and pampering that will surely be appreciated. Or you can find the perfect stocking-stuffers in their very personal and unique collections of small gifts and accessories at the studios.
Eat, drink, and be merry
Take a break from your shopping and enjoy one of Washington’s cozy New England taverns for a festive meal, or indulge your sweet tooth with a dessert break at our cafes. Washington’s food scene is unrivaled in Connecticut and a gift card to one of the town’s many eateries will be greatly appreciated by the foodies on your gift list.
Don’t forget the kids
On Sunday, December 17th, The Hickory Stick Bookshop welcomes you to meet children’s author Rosemary Wells (of Max & Ruby fame) where she will sign her latest and popular past books. This is a great opportunity for the kids to meet an author and listen to her read from her work and talk about her beloved characters.
After the book signing, take the little ones to enjoy the colorful and festive Sweeets! . This old-fashioned candy shop is chock-full of delicious treats and stocking stuffers that will make for a super-happy Christmas day. And many shops in town offer delightful toys, clothes, and gift ideas for even the littlest elves on your list.
Giving – and giving back
There are so many ways to give gifts that make our community – and the world – a better place. Here are a few caring gift ideas that will make a real difference close to home:
- This adorable Dog Days of New Preston 2018 Calendar makes the perfect gift for all animal lovers! All doggie runway models were photographed right in New Preston at a special “Puparazzi” photo shoot this fall. Proceeds go to the Brass City Rescue Alliance, a local rescue organization. You can buy calendars at DK Schulman Design.
- Shop for unique gifts at Washington Art Association Holiday Fair, or buy that artistic someone on your list a drawing class or membership.
- Gift a museum membership at the Institute for American Indian Studies or the Gunn Historical Museum
- Treat the outdoorsman or woman in your life to a membership at Steep Rock Association
- Make a donation in someone’s name to one of Washington’s many wonderful nonprofit organizations
When you’ve checked off all the lucky people on your gift list, enjoy all that Washington has to offer. Check out our featured events calendar for fun happenings throughout the holiday season, or take a look at our Winter in Washington recommendations.