Bundle up and explore the best of Washington with our Winter Bucket List! Washington turns into a winter wonderland when it snows, and it’s one of the most unique and beautiful times of the year to visit. We invite you to explore our favorite and iconic spots around town and the one-of-a-kind experiences that Washington has to offer this winter. Let the adventure begin!
Explore the great outdoors
Go on an adventure to see the iconic spots around town covered in snow, like the Thoreau Bridge and the Steep Rock Tunnel, or catch the snowy views from up above.
1. Walk all 40 miles of trails in the three preserves with the Steep Rock Association’s Hikers Challenge
2. Go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing in the fresh snow
3. Hike up to Waramaug’s Rock to catch the iconic view of Litchfield County
4. Take a walk along the quiet path of the Shepaug River
5. And if you’d rather not leave the car, simply drive the loop around Lake Waramaug for breathtaking views. Bonus points if you can catch a beautiful sunset!
Find inspiration in the arts
One of the most unique things about Washington is the abundance of local artists, galleries, and exhibits. Add some color to your world this winter by viewing the unique works on display!
6. Visit the Judy Black Memorial Park and Gardens to view their latest exhibit in collaboration with KMR Art, “Goodnight My Love” featuring the works of Ernest C. Withers through February 7th.
7. View the Washington Art Association’s 2022 Members Show featuring works of all mediums through February 13th.
8. Head over to the Gunn Memorial Library’s Stairwell Gallery for a collection of still life and landscape oil paintings in the “Home Sweet Home” Exhibit by Marisabel Artieda.
9. At the Byrde + the b, view the “Finding Forms 2” Exhibit featuring the latest collection of Steven Miller’s abstract paintings.
10. And finally – use that inspiration to bring your own vision to life at one of the Washington Art Association’s art classes and workshops offered this winter.
Indulge in the culinary arts
All of our local eateries and restaurants around town take pride in the delicious food and drink offerings and the use of fresh and locally-sourced ingredients from the many farms in the area.
11. A great spot for coffee lovers is The Po Cafe, voted one of the 5 Best Spots for Coffee with a View by Yankee Magazine. And you can pick up a delicious acai bowl or savory wrap while you’re there!
13. On your way through New Preston, visit The Smithy to pick up a gourmet charcuterie board. Then enjoy an afternoon of wine tasting with wine flights, where you can sample all the different whites, reds and sparkling wines at Hopkins Vineyard.
14. There’s no better way to warm up after a cold winter day than eating dinner by the fireplace. Visit G.W. Tavern or The White Horse Country Pub & Restaurant for a robust American menu and exceptional dessert.
15. Looking to celebrate a special occasion? Make a reservation at the Mayflower Inn & Spa for and unforgettable private fine-dining experience or a gourmet brunch.
Enjoy new experiences
There’s no better time than winter to experience something new! Washington is a great place to make memories with our friends and family with the many unique opportunities around town.
19. Get lost in the world of books with the Gunn Memorial Library’s Winter Reading Challenge, and visit the Hickory Stick Bookshop to explore the latest best-sellers, novels, and staff recommendations.
20. Try a new healthy experience like this year’s first annual Winter Fest, a virtual Connecting with Balance class with Pilobolus, or the Gunn Memorial Library’s Guided Meditation Series. Visit our Events Calendar to find your new winter experience!